Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Our Day in Bethlehem


Tuesday, April 7, we spent the day in Bethlehem. Going through the checkpoint there was an odious process, but because we have "blue passports" (i.e., American issue), we were subjected to a lot less deliberate hassling than are those who live here. (That said, Gordy and Beth from our group went into Bethlehem last week for a meeting with a local figure here and were detained for over an hour each direction, even though there were no more than a dozen people waiting to get through, both coming and going.)

The pictures will tell you a lot. I also got some good photos of graffiti and street art (see photo above) that carry powerful, poignant messages as well.

Beit Sahour
Our first stop was to visit a Lutheran school in Beit Sahour, just east of Bethlehem--where tradition says the shepherds were keeping watch. ("Sahour" means "watchmen" or "those who keep watch." "Beit" is the Arabic cognate of the Hebrew, "Beth," which means "home.") The kids were all out in the playground, eating their lunch or playing games. For the most part, the kids were very shy around us funny-looking Westerners.


But this tiny little girl walked right up to me and, in perfect English, said, "Hello. How are you?"

I said, "I am well. How are you?"

"I am fine. I am very happy to see you."

"I am very happy to see you, too." And she just beamed.

So I asked, "Is it okay if I take your picture with me?"

"Yes. That would be fine."

So I had to have the above photo taken, and it is probably one of my favorites from the trip.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have recently returned from a trip to Israel/Palestine with a great bunch of Lutherans who went over there to do good things. I created this blog mainly to make it easier to share my thoughts & my photos with people back home as our trip progressed. Shalom and ma’a as-salaama, -Evan